Any SEO expert will tell us that we need to consistently build links. It is a commonly accepted fact. However, people often disagree on how to do that. There are different methods to generate inbound links for our website, some are legitimate, while others are not. Here are some mistakes we do:
- We avoid reciprocal links completely: It is actually possible to set up genuine reciprocal links with related websites. Google will be suspicious if we create reciprocal links with dubious websites. This method is acceptable if we get links from and give links to quality websites. If our website is qualified enough, we don’t need to trade links with PR0 websites. Quality websites will be agree to trade links if the webmasters are impressed with our content.
- We ignore low PR links: The Internet is populated by more low PR websites, so Google finds it natural if we get more than a few inbound backlinks for PR0 and PR1 websites. The most important thing is to make sure that people naturally create links for our website. We shouldn’t try to artificially create links for our website.
- We don’t link out: Linking is also about giving. If webmasters and content creators are not willing to give links to other pages or websites, the Internet itself will come to a grinding halt. In this case, we should naturally link out. If we want to link out, we should create links because we are genuinely interested with specific external websites. This will represent a natural way of creating web of links in the Internet.
- We don’t use anchor text: Anchor text is essential to indicate the relevance of a link. Search engine bots will know that our website it associated with specific keywords, especially the one that’s used in anchor text. Anchor text is essential to determine the authority and relevance of specific webpage in our website.
- We buy links and try to cover our track: It is common for people for people to buy and sell links. This is not a natural way of creating inbound links for our website. Google actively looks for ways to detect paid links and it continuously improves its tracking methods. Even if we have tried to cover our tracks, we could eventually get penalized after Google finds enough clues about our dubious SEO campaign.
- We don’t want to generate links: This is the most serious mistake of all. Many people just add content after content and are not really interested in creating links. Link building is a long-term task and people don’t always love doing it. In reality, attracting people to generate genuine links for our website can be quite interesting. It can feel like an achievement when we see natural links start to appear for our website. We may build content that’s not available for our specific niche. The webpage should be interesting enough that when we show it to people in forums and blog, they talk about it enthusiastically.